Friday, February 1, 2008

A bad horse day

I guess they are allowed to have bad days too. Maybe he had a headache, or the extra annoying wind was bothering him. Maybe he had a belly ache. Or maybe, oh who knows.

Whatever it was, he bolted. He bolted with the trainer on him. Scary. It was like a rocket. Out of nowhere, off he went, fast. Thank God it wasn't me. THANK YOU GOD!!!

Anyway, the trainer got off and worked him on the ground again for a few minutes before leaving. Now I'm sitting here wondering if she plans on coming back.

After seeking the advice of horsey friends I have a better understanding of what might have been taking place. See, I wasn't listening to him. I wasn't in tune. He pulled a stunt with me in the morning that should have clicked with me that he was having an off day. I should have listened to him. I just thought it was fun to reuse those wild horse handling skills. Silly me thought it was a game. Obviously he was trying to tell me something.

Not today Mom, just not Today.

I also learned that he likely bolted because he didn't understand what was being asked of him. I hope that I didn't create that situation when I rode last week. I was the only one that did get him to go forward though, and we made a beautiful circle on the paddock rail. All of that could have been for not though as soon after that I was on the ground with a freaked out horse over in the corner hanging his head.

All in all I love this learning experience. I love my horse and don't think that this is something that will impact us sharing trail time down the road in late Spring. It just means we need to regroup and take a few steps backwards. And most of all I need to listen!

2 comments:

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Days like that are not fun! But you're right, you guys will just move on and it'll be fine.

Tracey said...

We've all had those days. Henry will be fine as long as you don't dwell on it :)