Thursday, February 14, 2008

The borning life

Well friends, (LOL, like anyone is reading this, lol) Henry bolted on the trainer the other day. Actually about 2 weeks ago. It was very scary, well it was for me from the ground but the trainer handled it beautifully! Unfortunately the weather has been so bad that we, meaning her, hasn't had a chance to give it another go until yesterday.

If I can back up a bit I can tell you that he was handling every thing so well, but just wasn't sure about what we were asking of him. He will go anywhere you would like as long as he can get there via reverse or sideways. On that particular day, I'm afraid that he got so confused that he decided to bolt in order to gain some control over what was happening. Like I said before, scary!

Yesterday he was a statue, which is fine I suppose. He took a few baby steps sideways, and the lesson was over. I'd been really working on giving cues to him from the ground, that that hopefully from the saddle it's not so scary for him. From the ground he is a big puppy dog and digests all the new info so fast. From the saddle though it's a whole new world, and if there isn't someone on the ground for him to follow he is very unsure. luckily he isn't an EMM horse, cause we really need to take our time on this!

The one super thing that did happen between those to days was that the Vet was out to float his teeth. Henry stood like a champ and offered nothing in way of protest to the vet. I was so thrilled!! He is such a great guy, and I am thankful everyday that I got tricked into buying him! :)

1 comment:

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Hey, I read this! Maybe a few days late though...

That's good that Henry's ride went better this time. He'll get there.