Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Goal in Mind

It became very clear to me today that I might actually have a chance to go to Mustang Days in Spokane after all. I was having a hard time finding a ride, I had placed an add on Craigslist looking for fellow Mustang lovers heading to the show and I can't count how many offers I got to haul my mustang to the show....then they all asked what year she was......ridiculous.

This evening I think I talked a trainer friend and mentor into hauling us. She has taken on a "problem" mustang for me and needs to find his market to insure a great understanding home for him after he is out of training. If she heads over, there is a spot for Henry and I.

Then I got nervous. There is so much work to do before June to make sure that we are both ready. LOTS of work. So much work that I twitch at the thought. Then it hit me. This could be our little Mustang Makeover. Not starting from scratch, but considering my stupid fears, we mine as well be. I could do this......

Here's the short list.

1. Ride everyday!
2. Fix his mane. He looks like he needs a tupae. He looks like a cancer patient, all because he ALWAYS thinks the grass is greener on the other side of the fence and rubs it off. He's gonna look like a goof ball with no mane, but I am hoping it will look better than it does now.
3. Practice loading in trailer and make mini trips away from home.
4. Ride in the arena up at the barn. That will freak him out for sure the first few times.
5. Learn how to behave in a stall.
6. Become proficient in walk/trot, both directions.
7. Get a goat for my mare so she has some company when we are gone. She's a freak by herself.

There's more, but my mind is warped by those few things. Can we do it? I think it's great goal to shoot for. And hey, if the ride falls through all this training can't hurt either of us right?

1 comment:

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

I'm so glad you're planning on coming to Mustang Days! What fun! Don't stress out too much, it'll be fine. I like your to-do list though. I should work on a lot of those things too...